It is a common question after any type of auto accident—should you call a personal injury lawyer? The answer is almost always yes. Consultations are typically free, and you have nothing to lose by discussing your rights as an accident victim. When it comes to Uber passengers who are injured in an accident, it is highly important to discuss your legal options with an experienced attorney.
Uber accidents can be complex matters involving several parties—the Uber driver, the Uber company, and any other drivers involved in the crash. As an Uber passenger, if you know you were not at fault, you should seek assistance from a knowledgeable Uber accident law firm to protect your best interests and provide advice on how you should proceed. The attorneys at Neufeld Law Firm are ready and able to advise you on your legal rights and options. Here’s what you should know.
Why Hire a Rideshare Accident Attorney?
If you have never been in a rideshare accident, then you don’t know how complicated things can get after the event. Navigating the company’s insurance policies, dealing with Uber’s legal team, and worrying about medical bills or lost wages shouldn’t be left to the victim. A Lyft or Uber car accident lawyer can help you with the details of your accident claim, giving you time to recover without the added stress of navigating a case alone.
Another important factor of a rideshare accident case is hiring the right attorney. You should ensure that you are hiring an attorney who specializes in rideshare accidents, not just any type of car accident. Having an attorney who deals primarily with Uber, Lyft, or other rideshare company accidents is imperative due to their knowledge of rideshare laws and experience dealing with rideshare insurance companies. The attorneys of Neufeld Law Firm have a proven track record of success dealing with rideshare accident claims and are here to help get you the compensation you deserve.
Navigating the Insurance Process
Insurance claims following an accident in an Uber can be a nightmare, to say the least. Florida recently instituted new requirements for Uber insurance coverage, which includes the following:
- When a driver is online and available to give rides but does not have a passenger, they must be covered by a $50,000 bodily injury liability policy ($100,000 for multiple injured parties)
- When a driver has a rideshare passenger, they must be covered by at least a $1 million bodily injury liability policy
This coverage can be provided personally by the driver or by Uber. In fact, Uber will carry such policies in case a driver turns out to be uninsured or underinsured under the new law. In the case of an accident with an Uber car, you will need to determine who has what types of coverage and with whom you should file your claim. In some cases, you may need to file numerous insurance claims with different policies, such as both the driver and Uber. This is why it is beneficial to hire an experienced Uber accident attorney who can assess the situation and help you prepare and file the necessary claims to seek compensation for your injuries.
Filing an Uber Accident Claim
While you may get some amount of compensation by going through Uber’s or the Uber driver’s insurance companies, it likely won’t be the full amount you deserve. Oftentimes, insurance companies will try to settle on a lower amount in order to save money. A highly-skilled Uber accident lawyer will be able to help you file a claim that will get you the compensation you are owed. However, when you file a claim, you must be able to prove the Uber driver was negligent.
To prove negligence, the following elements must be present:
- The Uber driver had a duty of care toward you
- The driver breached their duty
- You were injured as a result of that breach
- Your injuries were directly caused by the accident
Determining What Your Claim is Worth
Many car accident victims assume that filing a claim will involve adding up their medical bills and asking to be reimbursed by the insurance company. However, most victims who are not familiar with the legal process will far underestimate the value of their losses. Car accident damages can include so much more than medical bills you have already received.
Damages may include:
- All medical expenses – Medical costs can include more than bills from your doctor. They can include all physical therapy appointments, medications, emergency transportation, and more. If you need to rent crutches or a wheelchair, for example, you deserve to recoup those costs. You can also seek compensation for the mileage you drove to and from all of your medical appointments. Finally, you cannot forget to consider whether you will need medical treatment in the future. Some serious injuries require ongoing care long after a claim is settled, and you will need to estimate the costs you may incur in the future for your treatment.
- Lost income – Car accident injuries can impact your life in many ways, and one way is by keeping you from working for a period of time. Maybe your injuries require you to stay in the hospital or rest at home for days or weeks. Your injuries may also keep you from performing your basic job functions. In either case, you can lose a significant amount of income from missing work after a crash. If your Uber accident left you with long-term impairments, you may never be able to return to your same job, or your same level of income, again. Future lost earning power can also be calculated in the value of your claim.
- Pain and suffering – This type of loss is intangible and more difficult to attach value to. Injuries can cause a substantial amount of physical pain for accident victims. Such pain can limit your activities, and even painkillers can have a serious effect on your everyday life and may even be dangerous. Dealing with pain and limitations from injuries can also affect your mental and emotional health. You can seek compensation for the pain, suffering, lasting injuries, and loss of enjoyment of life that you suffered as a result of the crash.
In many cases, the attorneys at Neufeld Law Firm utilize the help of experts to ensure we are properly calculating the damages you should seek. If you try to calculate the value of your case on your own, chances are you may accept a settlement offer that is much too low and end up missing out on a significant amount of compensation you deserve. This is just another reason why it is important to have a skilled attorney in your corner.
Uber Is Not on Your Side
While Uber and its insurers may seem to be cooperative, claiming they have your best interests in mind, they do not. Companies are generally more focused on keeping costs low, which includes insurance payouts. Uber representatives and insurance adjusters may ask you seemingly harmless questions trying to get you to provide information that may be used to limit your settlement offer.
If you are represented by an experienced attorney, your attorney can handle all communications with adjusters on your behalf and will know how to negotiate and present evidence to maximize your claim. We will also protect you against inadequate settlement offers and work to obtain the full payout from an Uber insurance company that you deserve.
You Need a South Florida Uber Accident Lawyer Handling Your Case
There are numerous reasons that it is highly beneficial to consult with a personal injury attorney following an Uber accident. If you don’t consult with an experienced Uber accident lawyer, you may miss out on the compensation you deserve and find yourself swamped with costly medical bills and other expenses. As discussed above, the goal of Uber and its insurance company is to achieve the lowest settlement offer possible. We are here to make sure that doesn’t happen.
At Neufeld Law Firm, we are committed to protecting your rights and providing accurate information that helps keep riders safe while using Uber, Lyft, or another rideshare company’s service. Don’t hesitate to reach out, even if you’re not sure whether you have a personal injury claim. You won’t pay any fees unless we are able to successfully obtain compensation in your case, meaning hiring an attorney will cost you nothing out of pocket. There is nothing to lose by calling our firm, but there is too much at stake in your Uber accident case to risk handling it without the right legal assistance.
If you’ve been injured in or around the Miami area, contact us as soon as possible for a free case evaluation today.